Information About Motor Vehicle Accident Statistics
For recent statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the U.S. Department of Transportation, please see the information below. If you have been in a motor vehicle accident, contact a lawyer at Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, today to discuss your case.
Scott J. Corwin has been named to the Southern California Super Lawyers list every year from 2007 to 2016. Only 5 percent of lawyers in the state were selected. In 2015 & 2016, Mr. Corwin was also named to the Top 100 Southern California Super Lawyers list. In addition, he has a 10.0 (“Superb”) rating on AVVO.
Call 800-946-9440 now for a FREE CONSULTATION
General Accident Fatality Information
- It’s estimated that in 2015, 38,300 people died in all types of motor vehicle accidents in the U.S, making it the deadliest year on record since 2008.
- Passenger vehicle occupant fatalities in 2014 is the lowest on record at 21,022.
- The number of people who died in crashes involving large trucks saw a small decrease of less than one percent from 2012 to 2013.
- In 2013, 24 percent of drivers under the influence of alcohol in fatal crashes had a previous license suspension or revocation within three years. These license suspensions may have been for alcohol-related and non-alcohol-related violations.
- Approximately one-third of the total vehicle accident fatalities involved drivers under the influence of alcohol. Thirty-one states had a decrease in the number of these fatalities from 2012 to 2013, while California saw a slight increase from 829 in 2012 to 867 in 2013.
Distracted Driving Accidents
- In 2013, distracted driving killed 3,154 people and injured approximately 424,000 additional people in the U.S.
- Actions such as using a cellphone, dialing or texting while driving increase your risk of an accident by three times.
- The largest age group of distracted drivers in fatal accidents is people under the age of 20. Ten percent of this age group involved in fatal crashes are distracted drivers.
Call Today for a Free Consultation
You can rely on our experienced attorney to assist you and your family after any type of vehicle accident. We handle cases throughout California. To schedule a free consultation, please call our Los Angeles office at 800-946-9440 today or contact us online.