What to Do Following an Accident
The steps that you take immediately after a car accident are important. In many cases, it is within these fleeting moments that some of the best evidence of liability and negligence can be found. Please let Attorney Scott J. Corwin know if you were able to do any of the following shortly after your car accident happened.
- Call 911: You should call 911 immediately. Emergency responders can get control of the situation and administer critical first aid, so they need to come to the scene as soon as possible.
- Exchange information: You need the contact and insurance information of all other drivers involved in your crash. If someone leaves the scene of the accident without providing this crucial information, then they have technically committed a hit-and-run and could be subject to criminal prosecution. Before you take the next steps, make sure you complete this one. Your claim will be much more difficult to pursue if you don’t know who hit you.
- Take photographs: The most useful evidence to prove your side of the story may be photographs that you take. Use your smartphone to snap pictures of all vehicles involved, the damage they have suffered, and your injuries. You should also use your camera to record the traffic and weather conditions, as these might have contributed to the cause of the crash. If you know how to do it, enable timestamps on your phone before taking the pictures.
- Talk to eyewitnesses: Other motorists and pedestrians around you might have had a clearer view of the accident than you did. You should speak with them about what they saw if they stop to help you. If an eyewitness does not have the time to give a full recount of what they saw right then, then ask for their contact information and reach out to them later that day. Your attorney can also reach out to those people for further information.
- Notify your auto insurance provider: Your auto insurance provider needs to know about your accident. If you do not report it to them in a timely manner, then they might just fully deny your claim. Call your insurance company soon after the crash to report it. Do not feel like you have to go into heavy detail. Just say that you were in a car accident that the other driver fully caused and that you now need to file a claim.
- See a doctor: No matter how “fine” you feel after your car accident, you need to go see a doctor as soon after the crash as possible. If you are not taken by paramedics to the emergency room, then you should go to an urgent care facility or see your primary care physician at your first opportunity. Do not delay. A quick diagnosis can make a huge difference in how easily you can recover from an injury. Also, the doctor will make a note in your official medical record of your injuries, when they happened, and why they happened, which will help validate your claim.
Contact Our Law Firm Now
Do not forget the important last step: contact Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation in Los Angeles as soon after your car accident as possible. If Scott can start working on your case sooner than later, then he will have a better chance of finding all the evidence needed to use to build your case. More than 3,000 clients over Scott’s 30 years’ of practice know that Scott gets results! Call (310) 683-2300 or contact his firm online now.
Brain Damage $3,407,752
Boy sustains brain damage from trip and fall in pothole.
Bus Accident $2,782,954
Passenger injured when bus driver falls asleep and rolls bus.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Car Accident $1,250,000
Driver injured in collision with vehicle that crossed over into his lane.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Rear-end collision exacerbates pre-existing back condition.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Driver injured in nighttime collision with overturned big rig on highway.
Brain Injury $1,000,000
Rider injured on ferris wheel when struck in head by seat rack.
Car Accident Injury $850,000
Eight-year-old boy struck and killed by vehicle while crossing busy thoroughfare.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $125 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.