2020 Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Review Recent Motorcycle Crash Data
A basic understanding of motorcycle accident statistics and the causes of motorcycle crashes in Los Angeles and nationwide can help you avoid danger when riding. Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation wants everyone to stay safe when on a motorcycle, which is why Attorney Scott J. Corwin and his team share yearly updates here. If you are a motorcyclist, please take a moment to view these important stats and data points from 2020.
Important 2020 motorcycle accident statistics include:
- 5,579 motorcyclists lost their lives in traffic collisions and single-vehicle accidents.
- 27% of motorcycle riders who lost their lives in crashes were intoxicated at the time with a BAC level at or exceeding 0.08.
- 7% of motorcycle riders who lost their lives had a BAC level between 0.01 and 0.79.
- 36% of motorcycle riders who lost their lives did not have a valid motorcycle license.
- 65% of motorcyclists used helmets that were compliant with Department of Transportation (DOT) standards.
- 4% of motorcyclists used a non-DOT-compliant motorcycle helmet.
- 31% of motorcyclists did not use a motorcycle helmet or did not report wearing one.
- 83,000 nonfatal but serious motorcyclist injuries were reported.
- 8,317,363 motorcycles were registered nationwide.
- 67.08 motorcyclist fatalities occurred per 100,000 registered motorcycles, the highest rate in many years.
- 992 nonfatal but serious injuries occurred in motorcycle accidents per 100,000 registered motorcycles.
- 17,632 million vehicle miles were traveled by motorcyclists.
- 31.64 motorcyclist fatalities occurred per 100 million vehicle miles traveled.
- 468 motorcyclist injuries occurred per 100 million vehicle miles traveled.
- 61.19% of motorcycle fatalities occurred in urban settings, the remaining in rural areas.
- 78.22% of motorcycle fatalities occurred in clear or partly cloudy weather conditions; only 1.72% were reported to have happened while it was raining.
- 50.49% of motorcycle fatalities happened during the day, which is a negligible difference from nighttime statistics.
- 41.03% of motorcycle fatalities happened in crashes that did not involve another vehicle.
- 51.73% of motorcycle fatalities happened in two-vehicle accidents.
- 7.24% of motorcycle fatalities happened in multi-vehicle accidents with three or more vehicles.
Contact Scott J. Corwin for a Free Consultation
If you’re in a motorcycle accident in Los Angeles or lost a loved one to a motorcycle accident, Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation can help. You could be owed compensation for your losses from the liable party. Call the firm at (310) 683-2300 at once. Confidential consultations are available.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Motorcycle Accident $312,000 Settlement
Rear-ended motorcyclist sustains knee injury.
Motorcycle Accident $250,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when vehicle changes lanes in his path.
Motorcycle Accident $200,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist Suffers Torn ACL.
Motorcycle Accident $175,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured in chain-reaction collision.
Motorcycle Accident $161,609 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when struck by left-turning vehicle.
Motorcycle Accident $100,000 Settlement
Vehicle making U-turn collides with motorcycle.
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $125 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.