To protect client safety, we are offering the ability to meet with us via telephone, email or through video conferencing. Contact our office to discuss your options.




Were You Hit by An Uninsured Driver?

Even though it is the law, there are many people in Southern California who do not carry auto insurance. In the State of California, you are required to have a policy of automobile liability insurance to drive a vehicle. Unfortunately, some people either cannot afford insurance or simply choose not to carry insurance coverage. If you are hit by an individual who does not have insurance, you should contact a skilled Uninsured Motorist attorney to learn about your options.


Uninsured And Underinsured Motorist Injury Accidents In The L.A. Area

At the law firm of Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we have decades of experience guiding injured clients through the claims process. If the at fault driver does not have auto insurance, then you have the right to bring an Uninsured Motorist (UM) claim. Even though such a claim is brought with your own insurance carrier, you need the help of a car accident attorney, experienced in uninsured motorist claims, as insurance policies are complex, and dealing with insurance companies is difficult at best and often frustrating. Your own insurance company also becomes the “enemy” and wants to give you as little compensation as possible. You need a strong legal advocate on your side.

Hit by an uninsured driver in Los Angeles? Get quality legal help. Scott J. Corwin has been named a member of the prestigious National Trial Lawyers Association Top 100 Trial Attorneys in California 2010 through 2018. He holds Avvo’s top rating of 10.0 (for “Superb”). Why choose an ordinary lawyer when Scott Corwin is available?

California Law And UM / UIM Policies

In order to protect California drivers, insurance companies offer uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist (often abbreviated UM and UIM) policies. Under California law, unless you specifically decline these coverages, they are automatically included in your motor vehicle insurance policy coverage. We encourage you contact us to review your insurance policy to determine if you have this coverage and the right to bring a claim for compensation for your injuries and damages.

  • Uninsured Motorist claims: Whether your accident involves a car, truck or motorcycle, your attorney first needs to find out if the at-fault driver has insurance coverage. If the at-fault driver does not have insurance, you can bring an Uninsured Motorist claim with your own carrier. Your insurance company “stands in the shoes” of the at-fault uninsured driver. We have decades of experience handling hundreds of UM claims. Remember, even your own insurance company is the “enemy,” and you need competent aggressive legal representation.
  • Underinsured Motorist claims: Underinsured Motorist coverage is similar to UM coverage except it can be applicable even if the other at-fault driver has auto insurance. Under California law the minimum required insurance is $15,000 per person. If you are injured by a driver with insurance coverage less than the full value of your claim, then you can bring an Underinsured Motorist claim with your own company. Again, your company “stands in the shoes of the at fault driver.” For example, if you have a claim worth $50,000 and the other driver only has $15,000 in coverage, you can collect up to the full amount of your UM coverage.

You need experienced, aggressive attorneys to fight on your behalf. Let us examine your insurance policy and provide valuable insight as to your coverage and what we can do to help you.

Additionally, if you are a pedestrian (or riding a bicycle or skateboard, for example) and you are struck by an uninsured motorist, you can still recover compensation from your own insurance policy if you have these coverages. If you have uninsured motorist coverage in your policy you can likely receive money from your own insurance carrier if your damages are significant. Schedule a free consultation with a lawyer at our firm to learn more about your options for financial recovery.

Call An Injury Lawyer Who Can Help Now

Learn about your legal rights and options after an accident in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Ventura or Santa Barbara counties or anywhere else in California. Get a free case evaluation by calling Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, toll free at 800-946-9440, or contact us online today. We are dedicated to providing personal attention and quality representation throughout the duration of your case.