Whiplash Claims in Southern California
Whiplash—also called a cervical sprain/strain or hyperextension injury—or any other kind of neck injury can have a significant impact on your quality of life. You may be unable to work or perform basic activities of daily life, such as cooking, cleaning, or playing with your children.
If you suffered whiplash in a motor vehicle accident or any other incident resulting from someone else’s negligence, it is important that you seek out an experienced personal injury lawyer. At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, our Los Angeles whiplash attorney, Scott J. Corwin, has more than 30 years of experience handling complex auto accident cases throughout Southern California. In that time, he has secured more than $125 million in compensation for his clients. As your attorney, he will provide the compassionate counsel and personal attention you need to navigate the legal process.
What Is Whiplash?
Whiplash is a common neck injury caused by sudden, forceful back-and-forth movement of the head and neck (similar to a cracked whip, hence the name “whiplash”). Although it is considered its own injury, whiplash actually comprises multiple neck injuries as a result of this motion, including muscle and tendon strains, ligament sprains, nerve damage, and injuries to the spinal discs.
Some of the most common symptoms of whiplash include:
- Neck pain
- Stiffness in the neck and upper back
- Headaches, typically located near the base of the skull
- Reduced range of motion
- Tenderness, particularly in the neck, upper back, shoulders, or arms
- Numbness or tingling
In the most severe cases, whiplash can also lead to:
- Sensory issues, including ringing in the ears or blurry vision
- Difficulty concentrating and/or memory loss
- Changes in sleep patterns, including insomnia and excessive sleeping
- Increased irritability and new or worsened depression
Whiplash can be incredibly painful and may lead to a host of other complications. Individuals who suffer whiplash typically require medical attention. Treatment can range from relatively simple, at-home care to more intensive care depending on the severity of the injury. Often, victims must rest for several days, weeks, or even months, meaning they must take considerable time off work. This can cause additional hardship for those already struggling to keep up with mounting medical bills and other challenges.
Common Causes of Whiplash
Generally speaking, whiplash can occur any time an individual’s head and/or neck moves violently back and forth. This often occurs due to traumatic events and accidents. In the U.S., motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of whiplash and related neck and back injuries.
Specifically, some of the most common causes of whiplash include:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Large truck and commercial vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian-vehicle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Sports accidents, especially contact sports like football
- Recreation accidents, such as boating or ATV crashes
- Violence, including assault
If you suffered whiplash in an accident or incident caused by another person’s negligent or wrongful conduct, you could have grounds for a personal injury claim against the at-fault party.
You should not have to suffer the immense physical, emotional, and financial consequences of someone else’s carelessness on your own. With our Los Angeles whiplash attorney by your side, you can fight for the fair compensation you are owed. At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we are dedicated to recovering every penny our clients deserve, as well as the justice they need to heal and move forward with their lives.
Compensation for Whiplash Victims
After a motor vehicle accident or any other type of catastrophic event, the person or party responsible for causing the incident can be held responsible. The purpose of filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit is to seek monetary compensation for damages resulting from the event.
There are two main types of damages that can be recovered in a personal injury claim or lawsuit:
- Compensatory Damages: As the name implies, compensatory damages are meant to compensate the victim for specific losses they have endured as a result of the incident. Within this category, there are two types of damages: general and special. General damages are also known as non-economic damages and include intangible losses, such as pain and suffering. Special damages are also known as “economic damages” and include any losses that can be assigned a specific dollar value, such as medical bills or lost wages.
- Punitive Damages: Unlike compensatory damages, punitive damages do not compensate victims for specific losses. Rather, they are intended to punish the defendant and send a message that similar conduct will not be tolerated. Also known as “exemplary damages,” punitive damages can typically only be sought in cases involving egregious negligence, wanton or willful misconduct, or intentional infliction of injury. In other words, the defendant must have acted far outside the normal realm of typical carelessness.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we strive to maximize our clients’ recoveries. Attorney Scott J. Corwin is aggressive in negotiating settlements with insurance companies and, whenever necessary, is prepared to represent you at trial. Our goal is to recover the compensation you need to manage past, current, and future losses.
Choose an Experienced Attorney to Fight for You
It is important that you find the right attorney to help you with your claim. You want someone with experience in motor vehicle accident claims, as well as claims involving neck and back injuries like whiplash. Thanks to his thorough understanding of California personal injury law and his network of expert witnesses, our Los Angeles whiplash attorney has achieved outstanding results for clients throughout Southern California. Whether your injury is relatively minor, such as a whiplash injury, or catastrophic, we can help.
Scott J. Corwin holds an Avvo rating of 10.0 “Superb” and is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Membership in this prestigious group, which includes fewer than 700 lawyers nationwide, is limited to attorneys who have won multimillion-dollar verdicts, awards, and settlements.
Our firm is proud to have earned numerous positive reviews from our clients. We truly care about helping injured individuals obtain the justice they deserve and the compensation they need to get back on their feet. We serve clients throughout Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties and the entire state of California.
Brain Damage $3,407,752
Boy sustains brain damage from trip and fall in pothole.
Bus Accident $2,782,954
Passenger injured when bus driver falls asleep and rolls bus.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Car Accident $1,250,000
Driver injured in collision with vehicle that crossed over into his lane.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Rear-end collision exacerbates pre-existing back condition.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Driver injured in nighttime collision with overturned big rig on highway.
Brain Injury $1,000,000
Rider injured on ferris wheel when struck in head by seat rack.
Car Accident Injury $850,000
Eight-year-old boy struck and killed by vehicle while crossing busy thoroughfare.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $125 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.