All About Bicyclist and Pedestrian Injuries
Walking and bicycling are recommended for people’s health. But there’s nothing healthy about a motor vehicle running over a cyclist or pedestrian.
I Was Hit By A Car — What Do I Do?
Injured pedestrians and bicyclists find that their lives have been upended: suddenly they are unable to work, unable to perform basic functions, and need to pay costly medical expenses. Too often, the victims of these car-against-people collisions are our most vulnerable people — the elderly, the handicapped, small children and mothers pushing strollers.
Who Can You Turn To?
Scott J. Corwin. Scott is known throughout the Los Angeles area for his assertive and successful efforts to compensate people who are knocked down or killed by inattentive drivers.
Maximum Compensation For Serious Injuries
While we can do everything possible to practice safety precautions, accidents sometimes happen regardless. These situations are out of our control, and it’s normal to feel powerless. Our firm is here to step in and be your strongest advocate. We will hold the right party accountable and demand justice for your suffering. The goal is to seek compensation for medical expenses and lost wages. We help clients who are in pain due to many different circumstances, including:
- Spinal cord injuries: These can include fractured vertebra, compression fractures of the spine, paraplegia, quadriplegia, neck injuries, cervical or lumbar herniations, disc injuries, nerve injuries or damage, nerve compression injuries, whiplash and more.
- Traumatic brain injuries: Concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are some of the most common injuries to the head, along with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Amputation injuries: The loss of a limb or digit can occur during the accident itself or as a necessary surgical operation as a result of the injury.
- Broken and fractured bones: Fractured and broken bones, simple, complex, comminuted or avulsion fractures, including broken arms or hands, legs, ankles or feet, ribs, collar bones, are a common result of car crashes and other accidents.
- Burn injuries: Car fires and vehicle explosions can easily result in severe burns.
- Soft tissue injuries: These injuries often involve serious damage to the internal organs and structures of the body.
- Abrasions and lacerations: These include airbag abrasions, serious lacerations from flying windshield glass, road rash from motorcycle and bicycle accidents, and more.
- Accidents at crosswalks or intersections: A simple mistake can quickly turn serious when drivers aren’t paying attention.
- Hit by an Uber or Lyft vehicle: Understanding who is responsible for your injuries.
Pedestrian And Bicycle Accident FAQs
How does insurance work in pedestrian and bicycle accidents? Who pays?
The driver’s insurance is responsible for compensation. You may be compensated for medical expenses, time lost from work, and for the pain and suffering the injury has caused you. MORE
What if I was hit while jaywalking?
You shouldn’t jaywalk. But under California law, pedestrians can still file a claim against the driver for the driver’s portion of fault in the accident.
About Pedestrian Injuries
Recent Pedestrian And Bicycle Accident Settlements
$5,500,000 – Bicycle accident
$3,540,000 – Brain injury to bicyclist
$850,000 – Jaywalking fatality
$675,000 – Crosswalk rundown
$370,000 – Elderly woman hit by car backing up
Q. What will hiring a lawyer cost me?
A. Nothing, until we come through for you. We are only paid when there is a settlement or verdict in your favor. And we are paid by the insurance company — you never write a check. Our firm offers a no-charge, no-obligation case evaluation.
Q. Isn’t having insurance enough?
A. Insurance should cover you for all injuries, but it often comes up short. The last thing insurance companies want is to pay you the full amount you need and deserve. That’s why you need an experienced advocate on your side.
The Most Dangerous LA Intersections For Pedestrians
- Highland Ave & Hollywood Blvd
- S Central Ave & E Vernon Ave
- S Vermont Ave & W Exposition Blvd
- Hollywood Blvd & N McCadden Pl
- 5 San Pedro St & 7th St
Pedestrian And Bicycle Victim Testimonials
– Amanda M. “I got hit by a car in a crosswalk and needed help. I called Scott Corwin after a few other attorneys said they’d call me back but didn’t. I went to see him and he took care of everything.”
– Jason S. “My son was injured by a vehicle while riding his bike home from school. Following the accident, the driver left the scene, and was later arrested. Our case was settled in a prompt, professional manner.
– Dina H.
Pedestrian And Bicycle Injuries By The Numbers
In 2018 there were 6,283 pedestrians killed in traffic crashes, a 3.4-percent increase from the 6,075 pedestrian fatalities in 2017 (source: NHTSA). On average a pedestrian was killed every 84 minutes in a traffic crash in 2018. That’s more than 17 people every day of the year.
When including cyclists, the number rises to about 20 pedestrians and bicyclists who are fatally injured in the U.S., according to the NHTSA. Thousands more suffer serious injuries such as broken or crushed bones, amputations, severe lacerations, head and brain injuries, and damaged spinal cords.
- When pedestrians are killed
- Crosswalk accidents
- Whose insurance pays in pedestrian accidents?
- Injuries to bicyclists
- Bicycle fatalities
- Brain injuries to cyclists
- Cyclists struck at intersections
- Accident insurance for cyclists
In all these situations, Los Angeles pedestrian accident lawyer Scott J. Corwin stands for the rights of the injured and the family survivors of fatal pedestrian and bicycle accidents.
Who Gets Hurt and What Can Be Done
Pedestrian accidents occur at intersections, crosswalks, between parked cars — anywhere that there are people. Many victims are elderly, handicapped or children. Even mothers with strollers are struck by drivers, many of them distracted by something else in the car, or worse — driving while drunk or on drugs.
Scott J. Corwin seeks the largest amount of compensation for victims: money for medical bills, money to get them by until they can work again, and money to compensate them for the pain and emotional misery their injuries have caused them.
When A Loved One is Lost
For survivors of wrongful death, lawyer Scott J. Corwin seeks these damages plus the value of the loved one who was lost — as breadwinner, caregiver, beloved child or spouse.
Saying NO To Careless Driving
Scott J. Corwin comes down hard on drivers who exhibit indifference to the safety of others. In cases of obvious recklessness, he seeks punitive damages, sending a message to drivers throughout the state that drunk driving and other reckless acts behind the wheel will not be tolerated.