Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer
Understanding Your Truck Accident Claim and What Your Options Are
After a truck accident, it is important that you choose an attorney who will take immediate steps to investigate the accident and preserve evidence, including federal investigative reports and eyewitness testimony.
Truck accidents on freeways are especially destructive. Trucks can drop cargo, jackknife, or be unable to stop in time as traffic speeds and slows. The results are some of the most serious injuries seen in California.
These are not uncommon occurrences either. Based on information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), truck accidents across the country went up 13% in 2021 compared to 2020, reversing a previous promising downward trend. The total fatalities in truck-involved accidents are believed to exceed 5,600.
Injured in a trucking accident? Call (310) 683-2300 or contact us online today to speak to an experienced truck accident attorney in Los Angeles.
On This Page:
- How to Build a Strong Case
- What To Do After a Truck Accident
- Common Causes of California Truck Accidents
- Common Truck Accident Injuries
- Two Important Things to Remember
- Wrongful Death Claims and Trucking Accidents
- Get Help Today!
How Can Los Angeles Truck Accident Attorneys Build You A Strong Case?
When you are injured in a truck accident, it is important to have an experienced and knowledgeable truck accident attorney on your side. A Los Angeles truck accident lawyer can help build a strong case for you by gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and researching applicable laws. They will also be able to negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve. With their extensive knowledge of the law and their experience handling similar cases, they can provide invaluable legal advice throughout the process.
A skilled truck accident lawyer near you will be able to:
- Investigate the truck accident to determine who was responsible
- Collect evidence such as police reports, eyewitness testimony and photographs of the scene
- Negotiate with insurance companies on behalf of clients to ensure they receive fair compensation
- Assist in filing claims against any liable parties for personal damages and losses
- Represent clients in court proceedings related to their case
- Advise on legal matters pertaining to truck accidents and provide guidance throughout the process
- Review medical bills and obtain statements from doctors regarding injuries or disabilities sustained during a collision
- Gather documentation needed for claiming compensation
- Pursue punitive damages if negligence is found
Tough Cases Require Tough Representation
Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, is here to guide you in the right direction and answer all of your questions. No matter where you are in the process, we are here to help.
Your safety is our top priority. After obtaining emergency medical assistance for any known or suspected injuries, you can take a few other steps to protect your interests.
What Should You Do After a Truck Accident?
If you or someone you love was involved in a California motor vehicle accident involving a tractor-trailer, semi-truck, or any other commercial truck, you may be wondering what to do next. Having a Los Angeles truck accident attorney who will demand justice is of the utmost importance.
After a trucking accident you should:
- Have a doctor highly experienced in truck accident injuries examine you
- Write down the license number for both the cab and the trailer of the truck involved
- Write down the truck driver’s license number, insurance information, name, and contact information
- Get the contact information from any witnesses to the accident
- Photograph the scene of the accident, including vehicle damage, physical injuries, skid marks on the road, and any other visible evidence
- Request a copy of the police report
- Talk to our Los Angeles commercial truck accident lawyer, Scott J. Corwin, as soon as possible. He can help you preserve other types of evidence — such as truck driver logs and data — before it disappears.
What Are Some Common Causes of Trucking Accidents in California?
Truck drivers work long hours and have to meet rigorous and often unrealistic deadlines. As a result, truck driver fatigue is one of the main reasons for truck accidents.
Fatigue can severely impair the judgment of the driver. In a CDC survey, 24 percent of drivers said they “often continued to drive despite fatigue…”
Federal regulations prohibit a big-rig driver from driving more than 11 hours per day, and the regulations require eight hours off for every 10 hours of driving. Regulations for a truck driver’s maximum workweek dropped from 82 to 70 hours in a week, and also call for a mandatory 34-hour break after a driver attains their weekly maximum.
Unfortunately, many drivers violate these regulations. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that driver fatigue is responsible for more than 30 percent of all truck accidents.
Speeding is another major cause of commercial trucking accidents. A large tractor-trailer combination that can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds requires a much greater distance to stop than a 3,000- or 4,000-pound passenger vehicle.
Approximately 5% of all truck accidents are caused by aggressive driving, as per truck accident statistics. However, this number could be higher if truck drivers are more likely to falsely report how fast they were traveling to preserve their commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs).
Additional Causes of Truck Accidents
Other common causes of injuries and fatal truck accidents include:
- Inadequately trained drivers
- Maintenance and repair failures
- Violating safety procedures
- Brake failures
- Overloaded trailers
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
The Most Common Types of Trucking Accidents
Common types of trucking accidents include:
- Truck accidents in an intersection
- Rear-end accidents
- Commercial truck accidents
- Fatal truck accidents
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, your case will never be passed off to a less-qualified associate. Our founding attorney, Scott, will listen to your story, explain your legal options, and then fight on your behalf to obtain the highest possible compensation for your injuries. You can count on Scott to give you the one-on-one attention you deserve and need after your accident.
Injured in a truck accident on a freeway or interstate in Los Angeles County? Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation can help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve. Contact our Los Angeles commercial vehicle accident lawyer by calling (310) 683-2300 today!
What Are Common Truck Accident Injuries?
Commercial truck accidents are extremely dangerous for the motorist involved. Commercial tractor and trailer combinations are often 75 feet long and can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds.
So you are always the loser when involved in an accident with a commercial truck. The injuries sustained are often quite severe.
Some of the most common injuries sustained in truck accidents include:
- Severe head and brain injuries
- Back or spinal cord injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Burn injuries
- Broken bones
- Serious scarring or disfigurement
Sadly, wrongful death is also a common result of serious truck accidents in Los Angeles. In cases like this, it's up to the family to pursue compensation and justice on behalf of their lost loved one.
Two Important Things to Remember About Commercial Trucking Accidents
- Do not give a statement to insurance companies until you have consulted your truck accident attorney in Los Angeles. The insurance companies may try to twist your words or trick you into admitting guilt.
- Do not sign any papers from your insurance company until you have spoken to a semi truck accident attorney in Los Angeles. If you sign a settlement agreement for less than your case is truly worth, you might not receive the full monetary compensation required for future medical care and other needs.
Understanding Wrongful Death Claims Against Truck Drivers
When someone you care about dies, it is traumatic and emotional. When your loss comes as a direct result of a truck driver’s careless or reckless actions on the road, your pain and grief may be mixed with anger.
At the law firm of Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we recognize this but also understand that the loss of a loved one may result in a heavy financial burden, especially when the person who has died was the breadwinner of the family.
Because of the weight of big trucks, accidents are often either catastrophic or fatal. Lawyer Scott J. Corwin has obtained recoveries totaling over $130 million, including after fatal truck accidents.
Let Scott, a respected member of the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, obtain the compensation so important to your family.
Our Los Angeles semi truck accident attorney will:
- Stand up for your rights against reckless truck drivers or negligent trucking companies
- Guide you through the process with empathy
- Help you pursue the full financial compensation you deserve
Scott has two decades of experience in personal injury law and is one of fewer than 700 attorneys nationwide who are members of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. You can count on Scott to give you the one-on-one attention you need and deserve after your accident.
Your case will never be passed off to a less-qualified associate. Our founding attorney will listen to your story, explain your legal options, and then fight on your behalf to obtain the maximum compensation for the loss of your loved one.
Legal Counsel That Will Represent Your Needs
Trucking companies have vast resources and large teams of claims adjusters and lawyers fighting on their side. Shouldn’t you have a strong team on your side as well?
Over the past 30 years, the California law firm of Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, has successfully represented countless victims of truck accidents in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties and throughout the state of California.
Scott has the legal experience and skills to help resolve your case and get you the full compensation that you deserve. Our truck accident lawyer in Los Angeles is a distinguished member of the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (APITLA).
Schedule a free initial consultation about your case by calling Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation at (310) 683-2300, or contact us online. Our commercial vehicle accident lawyer in Los Angeles is here to help.
Making Things RightOver $130 Million Recovered on Behalf of Our Clients
Brain Damage $3,407,752
Boy sustains brain damage from trip and fall in pothole.
Bus Accident $2,782,954
Passenger injured when bus driver falls asleep and rolls bus.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Car Accident $1,250,000
Driver injured in collision with vehicle that crossed over into his lane.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Rear-end collision exacerbates pre-existing back condition.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Driver injured in nighttime collision with overturned big rig on highway.
Brain Injury $1,000,000
Rider injured on ferris wheel when struck in head by seat rack.
Car Accident Injury $850,000
Eight-year-old boy struck and killed by vehicle while crossing busy thoroughfare.
What Sets Us ApartQuality Legal Representation Your Case Needs
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $130 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.
Client ReviewsHere What People Have to Say About Scott
Needed help with a 4-car collision. He took care of everything on his end.- Earon Bagunu
I am not one to write reviews but after an unfortunate car accident, I am so glad I called Scott Corwin.- Catherine Lenke
A month ago, I was involved in a car crash and broke my right wrist. The process with this attorney was pretty fast. Scott was able to help me and also Julie was always super nice and very professional. I’m very glad everything was easy and fast.- Sabrina Guna
Scott got the personal injury settlement amount I expected to get (actually a few percent more). He was quiet and efficient, not a time-waster. Perfect fit for a working person.- Carl Hoppe
Thanks again Scott and Staff for your great work. My family and I are fortunate to have you all by our side in times of need.- Maria Mejia