Los Angeles Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
Spine Injury Claims in Southern California
Spinal cord injuries are extremely serious conditions that can result from motor vehicle accidents. In the United States, car accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries. If you have sustained a spinal cord injury, you are likely to experience dramatic changes in your life.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we represent individuals in Los Angeles and throughout California who have sustained spinal cord injuries as a result of another driver's negligence. Our Los Angeles spinal cord injury attorney, Scott J. Corwin, brings more than 30 years of experience to his practice, as well as a long-standing record of success with more than $175 million recovered for over 3,000 clients.
He is also a member of the National Spinal Cord Injury Association and is one of fewer than 700 attorneys nationwide to be selected for membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Attorney Scott J. Corwin has earned the Litigator Award for Catastrophic Injury, Automobile Accidents, Spinal Cord Injury and Motorcycle Accidents (Top 1% Nationwide).For a free consultation, call (310) 683-2300 or contact us online today.
On This Page:
- The Basics of Spinal Cord Injuries
- Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
- Common Causes of Spinal Injuries
- Compensation for Spinal Injuries
- Get Help Today
The spinal cord is a group of nerves that carry messages from the brain to various areas of the body. This bundle of nerves is enclosed and protected by the spinal column, which is made up of individual vertebrae in the neck, mid-back, and lower back.
Fractured vertebra or compression fractures of the spine can result in permanent disability. Spinal discs are rubbery, washer-like structures that cushion the space between each vertebra.
Exiting from each level between vertebrae are nerves that travel from the brain to various areas of the body to send signals to the:
Disc and nerve injuries often result in serious, long-term problems, sometimes requiring surgical intervention to repair.
The location of injury along the spinal column will determine which body parts are affected. Injury to the upper portion, or “cervical,” spinal cord often results in quadriplegia/tetraplegia. Injury to the middle portion, or “thoracic,” spinal cord may cause paraplegia, and injury to the lower portion, or “lumbar,” spinal cord can cause paraplegia or decreased function in the legs and feet.
Some common spinal cord injuries include:
- Herniated Discs: Between the spinal bones (vertebrae), there are rubbery cushions known as spinal discs. These discs are made up of two distinct parts: a tough exterior called the annulus, and a soft, jelly-like center called the nucleus. Trauma to the back or spine can cause the annulus to tear, allowing the nucleus to push through. This is known as a herniated disc (or bulging, ruptured, or slipped disc).
- Nerve Damage: The spinal cord is home to a bundle of nerves that allows for communication between the brain and various parts of the body. In a serious accident, these nerves can be damaged, leading to an array of complications. Cervical radiculopathy, also known as a “pinched nerve,” is a common nerve injury.
- Torn Muscles and Tendons: Back strains occur when the muscles and tendons, or connective tissues that hold muscles to bones, are stretched or torn. This can lead to significant pain, including chronic pain, as well as a host of other problems.
- Partial or Total Paralysis: Severe spinal cord injuries often lead to paralysis. There are many different types of paralysis, including quadriplegia/tetraplegia, paraplegia, triplegia, hemiplegia, and monoplegia. Paralysis may be partial or total in nature, and its effects range from loss of motor control and movement to reduced or lost sensation in the affected limb(s).
- Fractured Vertebra: Victims of serious motor vehicle accidents may suffer broken necks or backs. Fractured or dislocated vertebrae due to trauma are generally considered medical emergencies and may lead to paralysis or other significant complications. Compression fractures, cervical fractures, and Chance fractures are all relatively common types of vertebral fractures resulting from accidents.
These and other spinal cord injuries can have serious, lasting effects, from severe, chronic pain to significant impairment to permanent disability, loss of motor function, and paralysis.
The leading causes of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. include:
Additionally, studies have found that alcohol often plays a role in these incidents. If you were severely injured by a drunk driver, you have the right to take legal action.
By filing an accident claim or lawsuit, you can seek financial compensation for your damages, including your medical bills. While a settlement or verdict cannot undo the trauma you have been through, a favorable outcome to your case can allow you to secure the monetary resources you need to obtain proper treatment, manage everyday expenses, and move forward with your life.
Spinal cord injuries can result in tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical costs every year. On top of this, victims may not be able to return to work or obtain any form of gainful employment following their injury. They may struggle to manage everyday expenses along with the costs of treatment and are likely to suffer a significant amount of physical pain and emotional distress.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we fight to recover maximum compensation for your damages, including but not limited to:
- Emergency medical care
- Ambulance and hospital fees
- Surgery and other treatments
- Medical equipment and devices
- Physical therapy
- Ongoing and future medical care
- Lost income/wages
- Future lost earnings
- Lost or reduced earning capacity
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and trauma
- Miscellaneous out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost or reduced quality of life
You can count on Attorney Scott J. Corwin to give you the one-on-one attention you need and deserve after your accident. Your case will never be passed off to a less-qualified associate or paralegal. Instead, our founding attorney will listen to your story, explain your legal options, and then fight on your behalf to obtain maximum compensation for your injuries.
Were you injured as the result of a motor vehicle accident in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Ventura, or Santa Barbara County or elsewhere in California? Our Los Angeles-based back and spine injury lawyer at Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation can help you fight for the justice you deserve.
When you choose our firm, you get personal attention from your spinal cord injury attorney in LA throughout your case. We are here for you every step of the way, ready to answer your questions and address any concerns you may have. There are no legal fees unless we recover compensation for you.
Brain Damage $3,407,752
Boy sustains brain damage from trip and fall in pothole.
Bus Accident $2,782,954
Passenger injured when bus driver falls asleep and rolls bus.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Car Accident $1,250,000
Driver injured in collision with vehicle that crossed over into his lane.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Rear-end collision exacerbates pre-existing back condition.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Driver injured in nighttime collision with overturned big rig on highway.
Brain Injury $1,000,000
Rider injured on ferris wheel when struck in head by seat rack.
Car Accident Injury $850,000
Eight-year-old boy struck and killed by vehicle while crossing busy thoroughfare.
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $175 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.