Los Angeles Brain Injury Attorney
Traumatic Brain Injury Claims in Southern California
Based on the most recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 64,362 traumatic brain injury-related deaths occurred in 2020. The CDC considers motor vehicle accidents to be among the top four common causes of fatal TBIs in the country.
Any TBI—whether mild, moderate, or severe—can have a significant and lasting impact on the victim’s life, as well as the lives of their family members and loved ones. Sadly, these injuries result all too often from the careless, reckless, and negligent conduct of other drivers.
If you or someone you love has suffered a traumatic brain injury due to a motor vehicle accident, Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation is here to provide the compassionate, personalized, and tenacious legal representation you need. Led by our founding attorney, Scott J. Corwin, we bring more than 30 years of experience to our practice. We offer personalized, one-on-one legal assistance and the direct attention you need during this difficult time.
Successful brain injury lawsuits require experienced, aggressive representation. Attorney Scott J. Corwin has been named to the National Trial Lawyers Association’s Top 100 Trial Attorneys in California and has obtained more than $125 million for his clients. The National Trial Lawyers Association (NTLA) has also named Scott one of the Top 25 Brain Injury Lawyers in California, and he is also one of fewer than 700 attorneys selected for membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
For a free consultation with an experienced traumatic brain injury lawyer in Los Angeles, call (310) 683-2300 or contact us online today.
On This Page:
- Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Common Types of Head and Brain Injuries
- Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Common Causes of Brain Injuries
- The Long-Term Effects of a Brain Injury
- Diagnosis And Treatment Methods For Traumatic Brain Injuries
- The Experience & Insight You Need
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
There are many different types of head and brain injuries, which fall into two separate categories:
- Open-Head Injuries: A type of brain injury in which the skull is damaged. Open-head injuries are often easier to diagnose than closed-head injuries. Due to their severe nature, these injuries nearly always constitute medical emergencies and can be fatal without immediate medical attention.
- Closed-Head Injuries: Brain injuries that occur without any physical damage to the skull. Because of this, closed-head injuries are not always immediately obvious, which can actually make them more dangerous than open-head injuries. Without a prompt diagnosis and immediate treatment, these injuries can lead to serious complications.
Within these two categories, there are numerous types of brain injuries, all of which can have serious effects. All head and suspected brain injuries should be treated immediately by a qualified medical provider.
common types of head and brain injuries
- Brain Contusions: Contusion is the medical term for a bruise; a brain contusion, therefore, is a bruise that forms on the brain. Typically, brain contusions accompany other brain injuries, such as concussions. They can lead to swelling or bleeding and, while most heal on their own, they may require surgical removal.
- Concussions: A brain injury resulting from a sudden blow to the head or violent forces that cause the head and/or neck to move back and forth. Even concussions classified as “mild” should be treated seriously. Repeated concussions or more severe concussions can lead to significant brain damage and related complications.
- Coup-Contrecoup Injuries: A coup-contrecoup injury is a type of brain injury in which a forceful blow to the head or violent impact causes the brain to move within the skull, slamming against the opposing side. This results in two points of injury (hence, “coup-contrecoup”): one where the initial impact took place and one where the brain hit the inside of the skull.
- Diffuse Axonal Injuries: A diffuse axonal injury (DAI) is a brain injury in which the violent movement of the brain within the skull leads to the shearing, or tearing, of the tiny connective tissues in the brain responsible for sending various types of signals and information. This is a severe brain injury and can be fatal.
- Skull Fractures: A skull fracture occurs when the skull bone breaks. The size, location, and severity of the break play a large role in the overall severity of this injury, but generally speaking, skull fractures are considered very serious injuries. In some cases, shards of bone can enter the brain and cause further damage.
- Penetrating Brain Injuries: A penetrating brain injury occurs when a foreign object, such as debris from a car accident, pierces the skull bone and enters the brain. These types of injuries are among the most severe of all brain injuries and can lead to widespread brain damage, hemorrhaging, and death.
If you or someone you love suffered any type of brain injury caused by a motor vehicle accident, and you believe another person, company, or entity is to blame, reach out to our team at Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation right away. You could be entitled to financial compensation for your damages. Our Los Angeles traumatic brain injury lawyer can immediately begin gathering evidence and protecting your rights following a car accident.
Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injuries
A traumatic brain injury is a trauma-induced physiological disruption of brain function. It can be caused by a direct blow to the head or by the brain undergoing movement in the skull without any direct external trauma to the head, such as from whiplash in a car accident.
A TBI is usually indicated by at least one of the following symptoms:
- Loss of consciousness, whether brief or prolonged
- Amnesia or loss of memory for events immediately before or after the accident
- Vomiting, dizziness, or nausea
- Unusual irritability, nervousness, fatigue, or forgetfulness
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Changes in sleep patterns, including both excessive sleep and insomnia
- Changes in mood or behavior, such as severe mood swings
- Slurred speech
- Difficulty hearing or a “ringing” sensation in the ears
- Alteration in mental state at the time of the accident, such as feeling dazed, disoriented, or confused
- Increased sensitivity to light and/or sound
More severe brain injuries may result in more severe symptoms, such as repeated vomiting, convulsions, or seizures. Dilated pupils, fluid draining from the ears or nose, weakness of the fingers or toes, loss of coordination, profound confusion, and coma are all emergency signs of a traumatic brain injury. Seek immediate medical attention for anyone exhibiting any signs of a head or brain injury.
Common Causes of Brain Injuries
Car accidents that commonly cause TBIs include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Highway construction
- Motorcycle accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- Reckless driving
- Truck accidents
- Head-on collisions
Most often, these incidents result from the careless, reckless, or wrongful conduct of others. When this is the case, victims and/or their family members may have grounds for legal action.
What Are the Long-Term Effects of a Brain Injury?
Traumatic brain injuries can result in long-term, debilitating, and permanent disabilities. Often a person cannot maintain their normal activities of daily living, such as getting dressed, bathing, washing, and eating. Part-time or around-the-clock care may be required. A person’s ability to think properly and coherently is also often affected.
Serious TBIs can reduce a completely independent person to a childlike dependent state. However, TBIs can sometimes be much more subtle in the outward appearance of symptoms but can still be a very serious and long-term disability. Proper neurological examination and neuropsychiatric testing are required to accurately diagnose the TBI, as well as proper rehabilitative care.
Brain injury victims, and their loved ones, are likely to experience significant financial hardships. The cost of treating a TBI can easily exceed tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars throughout the victim’s lifetime. In many cases, the full cost of a TBI—in terms of medical treatment, lost income, pain and suffering, and other losses—reaches millions of dollars.
Diagnosis and Treatment Methods for Traumatic Brain Injuries
When dealing with a traumatic brain injury, it is crucial to obtain a thorough medical evaluation as soon as possible. Any injury dealing with the brain can be extremely complex, and improper or delayed treatment can have a negative impact on the recovery process and may even prolong certain symptoms.
Traumatic brain injury treatment methods might include the use of:
- In-patient care facilities
- Outpatient care facilities
- Neurocognitive therapy
- PET scans
- SPECT diagnostic scans
- Sophisticated MRI scans
- Rehabilitation therapies (including cognitive, speech, occupational, or physical)
We understand the complicated physical, emotional, and financial repercussions that follow a traumatic brain injury. For many brain injury survivors, they require frequent reassessments as they deal with the ups and downs of the recovery process. In addition to the use of rehab facilities, TBI patients might also require costly scans, specialty appointments, surgeries, medication, and more.
It is important to work with an experienced legal team with a thorough understanding of brain injury care and treatment costs. If you or someone you love suffered a traumatic brain injury due to a motor vehicle accident, our firm wants to hear from you.
The Experience and Insight You Need
In order to stay current on the latest medical research related to brain trauma and injuries, Attorney Scott J. Corwin maintains memberships in the Brain Injury Association of America, the Brain Injury Association of California, the International Brain Injury Association, and the North American Brain Injury Society. These respected national and international organizations provide ongoing education and information to their members.
Scott is extremely knowledgeable about brain injury cases, as demonstrated by his having been named a Top 25 Brain Injury Lawyer in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association (NTLA). Scott is also a distinguished member of the National Brain Injury Trial Lawyers Association (NBITLA) and frequently works with the top neurologists, neuropsychiatrists, neuroradiologists, and other medical professionals to help his clients receive the best possible care following a TBI.
With more than three decades of experience handling significant brain injury cases and over $125 million recovered for his clients, Scott J. Corwin has the reputation and experience to help you fight for fair compensation to cover all of your long-term needs, as well as damages for pain and suffering and the loss of enjoyment of activities of daily living.
To learn more about how Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation can help you pursue compensation in a motor vehicle accident-related head injury or brain injury case, schedule a free initial consultation with our Los Angeles brain injury attorney. We handle cases in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties, as well as throughout the state of California.
Contact us online or by phone at (310) 683-2300 for a free consultation with a traumatic brain injury attorney in Los Angeles.
Making Things RightOver $130 Million Recovered on Behalf of Our Clients
Brain Damage $3,407,752
Boy sustains brain damage from trip and fall in pothole.
Bus Accident $2,782,954
Passenger injured when bus driver falls asleep and rolls bus.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Car Accident $1,250,000
Driver injured in collision with vehicle that crossed over into his lane.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Rear-end collision exacerbates pre-existing back condition.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Driver injured in nighttime collision with overturned big rig on highway.
Brain Injury $1,000,000
Rider injured on ferris wheel when struck in head by seat rack.
Car Accident Injury $850,000
Eight-year-old boy struck and killed by vehicle while crossing busy thoroughfare.
What Sets Us ApartQuality Legal Representation Your Case Needs
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $130 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.
Client ReviewsHere What People Have to Say About Scott
Needed help with a 4-car collision. He took care of everything on his end.- Earon Bagunu
I am not one to write reviews but after an unfortunate car accident, I am so glad I called Scott Corwin.- Catherine Lenke
A month ago, I was involved in a car crash and broke my right wrist. The process with this attorney was pretty fast. Scott was able to help me and also Julie was always super nice and very professional. I’m very glad everything was easy and fast.- Sabrina Guna
Scott got the personal injury settlement amount I expected to get (actually a few percent more). He was quiet and efficient, not a time-waster. Perfect fit for a working person.- Carl Hoppe
Thanks again Scott and Staff for your great work. My family and I are fortunate to have you all by our side in times of need.- Maria Mejia