Spinal Cord Injuries Resulting from Motorcycle Accidents
Injuries to the spine can have lifelong consequences. If you suffered a spinal cord injury because of a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, as well as your medical expenses, lost income, and other damages.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we take aggressive action on behalf of people injured in motorcycle crashes. Our Los Angeles motorcycle accident spinal cord injury lawyer, Scott J. Corwin, has more than 30 years of legal experience and has recovered over $125 million in compensation for injured individuals and their families. We offer personalized representation and one-on-one attention directly from your attorney. Your case will never be passed to an associate or paralegal.
Attorney Scott J. Corwin has earned the Litigator Award for Catastrophic Injury, Automobile Accidents, Spinal Cord Injury and Motorcycle Accidents (Top 1% Nationwide).For a free consultation, call (310) 683-2300 or contact us online today.
Spinal Cord Injuries Commonly Associated with Motorcycle Accidents
Due to the devastating nature of most motorcycle accidents, victims frequently suffer serious, life-altering injuries, including spinal cord injuries. Additionally, as a result of being thrown from their bikes, motorcyclists are often at risk of sustaining more severe spinal injuries than occupants of passenger vehicles.
Examples of spinal cord injuries commonly associated with motorcycle accidents include:
- Herniated Discs: Between the spinal bones (vertebrae), there are rubbery cushions known as spinal discs. These discs are made up of two distinct parts: a tough exterior called the annulus, and a soft, jelly-like center called the nucleus. Trauma to the back or spine can cause the annulus to tear, allowing the nucleus to push through. This is known as a herniated disc (or bulging, ruptured, or slipped disc).
- Nerve Damage: The spinal cord is home to a bundle of nerves that allows for communication between the brain and various parts of the body. In a serious motorcycle accident, these nerves can be damaged, leading to an array of complications. Cervical radiculopathy, also known as a “pinched nerve,” is a common nerve injury.
- Torn Muscles and Tendons: Back strains occur when the muscles and tendons, or connective tissues that hold muscles to bones, are stretched or torn. This can lead to significant pain, including chronic pain, as well as a host of other problems.
- Partial or Total Paralysis: Severe spinal cord injuries often lead to paralysis. There are many different types of paralysis, including quadriplegia/tetraplegia, paraplegia, triplegia, hemiplegia, and monoplegia. Paralysis may be partial or total in nature, and its effects range from loss of motor control and movement to reduced or lost sensation in the affected limb(s).
- Fractured Vertebra: Victims of serious motorcycle accidents may suffer broken necks or backs. Fractured or dislocated vertebrae due to trauma are generally considered medical emergencies and may lead to paralysis or other significant complications. Compression fractures, cervical fractures, and Chance fractures are all relatively common types of vertebral fractures resulting from motorcycle accidents.
Any type of spinal cord injury can have extremely painful and long-lasting consequences for the victim. Often, individuals who suffer spine injuries in motorcycle accidents are left with debilitating impairments and/or permanent disabilities.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the impact these injuries have on victims’ lives, as well as the lives of their family members and loved ones. Our Los Angeles motorcycle accident spine injury attorney offers compassionate, personalized counsel, as well as aggressive advocacy both in and out of the courtroom. Our goal is to recover every penny you are owed so that you can move forward with your life.
What Compensation Is Available for Motorcycle Accident Victims with Spinal Cord Injuries?
The long-term effects of a spinal cord injury can impact nearly every aspect of your life, from your ability to get around and care for yourself to your ability to work or ever ride again. At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe that you deserve justice. If someone else was responsible for the accident that left you injured, you are entitled to financial compensation for your damages.
Every case is different, and it is impossible to estimate the value of your claim without first reviewing the specific factors involved. That being said, many motorcycle accident victims who have sustained spinal cord injuries due to the negligence or wrongful conduct of others are able to secure compensation for specific damages.
These damages often include:
- Emergency medical care
- Ambulance and hospital fees
- Surgery and other treatments
- Medical equipment and devices
- Physical therapy
- Ongoing and future medical care
- Lost income/wages
- Future lost earnings
- Lost or reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and trauma
If the defendant is found to have acted with egregious negligence or wanton/willful misconduct, you could also be entitled to punitive damages. Also known as “exemplary damages,” punitive damages are meant to punish the liable party, rather than compensate the victim for specific losses. Punitive damages help send the message that such conduct will not be tolerated.
Fighting for Your Maximum Recovery
If you have a serious spinal cord injury, you may need physical therapy, chiropractic care, epidural injections, surgical intervention, or modifications to your home to accommodate your injuries—all of which can be very costly. Attorney Scott J. Corwin can work to ensure that you receive maximum compensation for your injuries and have access to every accommodation you need.
For more than 30 years, Scott J. Corwin has represented injured motorcyclists in Los Angeles and throughout Southern California. Since 1992, he has recovered more than $125 million in total for his clients. He is also a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, an honor that fewer than 700 attorneys nationwide have received. Scott has been selected for inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list every year since 2007. He also has a perfect 10.0 “Superb” rating on Avvo and has earned numerous positive reviews from individuals and families he has helped.
At our firm, your case will never be handed off to a paralegal or less-qualified associate. Instead, Attorney Scott J. Corwin will work one-on-one with you to ensure that he fully understands the details of your accident and that you understand all your legal options.
If you or a loved one suffered a spinal cord injury as a result of a motorcycle accident, contact Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation to schedule a free initial consultation. Our firm handles motorcycle accident cases throughout the state of California, including in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Motorcycle Accident $312,000 Settlement
Rear-ended motorcyclist sustains knee injury.
Motorcycle Accident $250,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when vehicle changes lanes in his path.
Motorcycle Accident $200,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist Suffers Torn ACL.
Motorcycle Accident $175,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured in chain-reaction collision.
Motorcycle Accident $161,609 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when struck by left-turning vehicle.
Motorcycle Accident $100,000 Settlement
Vehicle making U-turn collides with motorcycle.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $125 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.