Los Angeles Neck & Back Injury Attorney
Neck and Back Injuries Caused by Motor Vehicle Accidents in Southern California
Whether it involves a car, truck, or motorcycle, accident victims are often at risk of suffering life-altering neck and back injuries. If you, or a loved one, sustained a neck or back injury because of a motor vehicle accident, you may experience chronic pain, temporary impairment, or even permanent disability.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we represent people in the greater Los Angeles area and all of Southern California who have neck and back injuries from motor vehicle accidents. With more than 30 years of experience and over $125 million recovered for his clients, our Los Angeles neck and back injury lawyer has what it takes to aggressively advocate for you.
Common Neck and Back Injuries Associated with Motor Vehicle Accidents
While neck and back injuries can be the result of any type of motor vehicle accident, they are especially dangerous for motorcyclists who have virtually no protection. In fact, along with head and brain injuries, these are some of the most common types of injuries accident victims may suffer.
Some neck and back injuries commonly associated with accidents include:
- Whiplash: is one of the most common motor vehicle accident injuries. It is a type of neck injury involving strained muscles and/or sprained ligaments, resulting from sudden back-and-forth movement, which is common in rear-end collisions.
- Strained Muscles or Tendons: Similar to ligament sprains and tears, strained neck and back muscles and tendons are common in motor vehicle accidents. A strain is also a type of stretch or tear, but it affects the muscles or tissues that connect muscles to bones (tendons) rather than the ligaments.
- Herniated or Bulging Discs: A herniated (or bulging/ruptured/slipped) disc occurs when the soft center of a vertebral disc pushes through the tough exterior. This can occur at any point along the spine and may irritate the surrounding nerves. This, in turn, can lead to significant pain, as well as weakness or numbness of the arm or leg.
- Nerve Damage: Some neck and back injuries can lead to nerve damage, such as “pinched” nerves (cervical radiculopathy). This occurs when a nerve is irritated or compressed, leading to pain, stiffness, inflammation, and further nerve damage. Other injuries, such as a herniated disc, can also cause nerve damage.
- Torn or Sprained Ligaments: The trauma of an accident can cause considerable damage to ligaments, or connective tissue between joints and bones, in the neck and back. Stretched (sprained) or torn ligaments are common, particularly in the cervical spine, shoulders, and lower back.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Accident victims often sustain serious spinal cord injuries. These injuries encompass any damage to the actual spinal cord, including the spine itself and the bundle of nerves located along the spinal column.
- Paralysis: Spinal cord injuries and/or nerve damage can also lead to partial or total paralysis, which may be temporary or permanent in nature. Paraplegia and quadriplegia/tetraplegia are two common examples.
- Fractured Vertebrae: Colloquially known as a “broken neck” or “broken back,” vertebral fractures are serious injuries that can involve significant complications, including nerve damage and paralysis. Depending on the severity of the break, fractured vertebrae may constitute a medical emergency and could even be fatal.
If you or your loved one suffered a serious neck or back injury, and you believe someone else was at fault for the crash, contact Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation right away. We can help you review your legal options, including your potential right to compensation.
Treatment for Neck and Back Injuries
Most neck and back injuries are highly treatable. Depending on the type of injury and its severity, treatment may be straightforward or highly intensive. Additionally, treatment may focus on minimizing further damage, partial or full recovery, pain management, disability adaptation, or some combination thereof.
The exact type of treatment you need will depend on the various unique factors involved in your injury. You should always follow your doctor’s instructions and do not be afraid to seek a second opinion if desired.
Accident-related neck and back injuries are often treated with the following methods:
- General rest
- Physical therapy
Just as neck and back injury treatments vary widely, so do the costs associated with treating these injuries. However, in nearly all cases, treating serious neck or back injuries is expensive. Victims may find themselves with tens or even thousands of dollars in medical bills. This financial hardship is often worsened by the fact that victims cannot return to work—either temporarily or permanently—due to their injuries.
Compensation for Injured Accident Victims
Personal injury compensation can cover various medical expenses and therapeutic interventions, such as surgery, home modifications, and physical therapy. Additionally, a personal injury settlement or verdict can provide monetary relief for non-medical damages, such as lost income/wages, in-home assistance, pain and suffering, lost quality of life, diminished earning ability, and more.
Attorney Scott J. Corwin is a seasoned trial lawyer who is prepared to take aggressive action to help ensure that you receive maximum compensation. As a member of the National Spinal Cord Injury Association, Scott J. Corwin is committed to improving the lives of his clients who have back, neck, and spinal cord injuries after serious motor vehicle accidents accidents.
Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation has earned a reputation for aggressive client advocacy and for winning results. Scott J. Corwin has received an Avvo rating of 10.0 “Superb” and has been selected for inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list every year since 2007. He has also been recognized as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in California and is a member of the National Trial Lawyers Association.
Personalized Attention; Dedicated Service
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, you will work directly with your Los Angeles neck and back injury lawyer—never with an associate or paralegal. By providing personalized attention, Scott J. Corwin will build a case based on detailed knowledge of your accident. He can explain your legal options and help you understand what to expect from your particular claim.
We proudly represent clients in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties, as well as throughout the state of California. Because we accept contingency fees, there are no costs to you unless we win your case.
Brain Damage $3,407,752
Boy sustains brain damage from trip and fall in pothole.
Bus Accident $2,782,954
Passenger injured when bus driver falls asleep and rolls bus.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Car Accident $1,250,000
Driver injured in collision with vehicle that crossed over into his lane.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Rear-end collision exacerbates pre-existing back condition.
Car Accident $1,000,000
Driver injured in nighttime collision with overturned big rig on highway.
Brain Injury $1,000,000
Rider injured on ferris wheel when struck in head by seat rack.
Car Accident Injury $850,000
Eight-year-old boy struck and killed by vehicle while crossing busy thoroughfare.
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $130 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.