Los Angeles Dooring Accident Attorney
Motorcycle Accidents Caused by Opened Vehicle Doors
When drivers open their car doors without first checking to see that the path is clear, oncoming motorcyclists may need to swerve to avoid being hit. In some cases, avoiding a collision is impossible. This can lead to serious motorcycle accidents and devastating, life-altering injuries.
If you were injured in a door opening, or “dooring,” accident in the Los Angeles area, Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation can help. We are prepared to take aggressive action to help ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries. Led by Los Angeles dooring accident attorney Scott J. Corwin, we have recovered more than $125 million in compensation for our clients.
How Do Dooring Accidents Happen?
Dooring accidents, in which motorcyclists are struck by or unable to avoid suddenly opened car doors, are almost always caused by negligence. Motor vehicle drivers and passengers are responsible for checking to make sure no one is coming before opening car doors to either enter or exit the vehicle. When they fail to do this, they can cause serious collisions that may lead to catastrophic injuries.
In the simplest of terms, dooring accidents occur when motorists fail to check for others before opening vehicle doors. This can often be attributed to:
- Distracted Motorists: Someone who is distracted by a cellphone, looking for an address, or simply not paying attention may fling open a car door into the path of an oncoming motorcyclist. As a result, the motorcyclist may swerve to avoid the car door only to enter other lanes of traffic, or they may be unable to stop in time to avoid a collision.
- Illegally Parked Vehicles: An individual who is illegally parked may be more likely to dash in and out of the vehicle, meaning they may be more likely to suddenly open the door without checking for oncoming motorcyclists. To make matters worse, motorcyclists are typically not prepared for an illegally parked vehicle’s door to open.
- Low Visibility: Whether due to inclement weather or hazardous traffic patterns, low visibility is often a factor in open-door motorcycle accidents. Regardless, drivers and passengers in cars, SUVs, and trucks have a responsibility to check for motorcyclists and others before opening doors, especially when visibility is reduced.
- Defective Roadways: In some cases, roadway defects might contribute to a dooring accident. For example, a motorcyclist who must swerve to avoid a pothole may collide with an open car door. In such cases, the fault might lie with the driver of the vehicle with the open door, but more often, it lies with the entity responsible for road maintenance.
- Drunk Drivers: Alcohol impairs an individual’s ability to judge distance, as well as reaction times and motor skills. An intoxicated driver may fail to look out for a motorcyclist before opening a car door, or they may misjudge the distance between the motorcyclist and their vehicle. In any case, a drunk driver can be held responsible for causing a dooring accident.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we know how to properly investigate open-door motorcycle accidents and determine who is liable for your injuries and damages. Our Los Angeles dooring accident attorney leaves no stone unturned when it comes to maximizing your recovery. He is ready to advocate tirelessly for you.
What Types of Injuries Can You Sustain If You Are Hit by Someone Opening a Car Door?
Dooring accidents can lead to an array of serious, life-changing injuries, including:
- Serious cuts, scrapes, bruises, and abrasions
- Friction burns, or “road rash”
- Scars and disfigurement
- Broken bones and fractures
- Head and brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Knee and joint injuries, as well as torn ligaments
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
Unfortunately, because they have relatively little protection, motorcyclists are at the highest risk of serious bodily injury in most dooring accidents. At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we stand up for injured bikers and their families, fighting for full and fair compensation for their losses. We can help you seek the financial recovery you need to manage medical bills, make up for lost wages, and assist with the pain and suffering you have endured.
What to Do If You Are Injured in an Open-Door Motorcycle Accident
Motorists are responsible for ensuring that no one is nearby when they open their doors into traffic. In fact, California law states that “no person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of such traffic.” The law also prohibits leaving a door open on the side of moving traffic for “longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.”
If a driver struck you with their car door while you were riding your motorcycle, you could have grounds for a personal injury case. There are several things you should do to not only protect your health and safety but also your right to recovery.
If you were injured in a dooring accident, do the following:
- Seek immediate medical attention and, if necessary, call 911
- Call the police and have them come to the scene of the accident
- Ensure that any witnesses who may have seen your accident remain on the scene so that they can give statements to the police
- If possible, take photos of your injuries, the accident scene, and damage to your bike
- Finally, contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer who can help you protect your rights
Attorney Scott J. Corwin‘s commitment to clients has earned him inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list every year since 2007. Avvo rates him a perfect 10.0 “Superb,” and he is a member of the prestigious National Trial Lawyers Association.
Choose a Team That Is Ready to Fight for You
When you turn to our firm, you will work directly with Attorney Scott J. Corwin throughout the duration of your case, never with a less-qualified associate or paralegal. By providing personalized attention, Scott J. Corwin can help you understand your options and develop an innovative legal strategy customized to your unique needs, concerns, and goals.
Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation represents motorcyclists injured in open-door accidents throughout the state of California, including in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Motorcycle Accident $312,000 Settlement
Rear-ended motorcyclist sustains knee injury.
Motorcycle Accident $250,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when vehicle changes lanes in his path.
Motorcycle Accident $200,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist Suffers Torn ACL.
Motorcycle Accident $175,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured in chain-reaction collision.
Motorcycle Accident $161,609 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when struck by left-turning vehicle.
Motorcycle Accident $100,000 Settlement
Vehicle making U-turn collides with motorcycle.
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $125 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.