Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Motorcycle accident statistics are in a class by themselves. This is partly due to the agencies concerned with such information — the U. S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) — which categorize motorcycle accidents separately from other vehicular accidents.
At the motorcycle injury firm of Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we have compiled various accident statistics from the CDC and NHTSA. For additional information, call us at (310) 683-2300.
Interesting motorcycle and motorcycle accident statistics from various safety groups include:
- 6,084 motorcyclists were killed in traffic collisions in 2021.
- Intoxicated motorcyclists accounted for nearly 30% of all motorcycle fatalities in 2021.
- In about 30% of all fatal motorcycle accidents, the rider was speeding, which has some notable overlap with intoxicated motorcyclists, too.
- Around 38% of motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes in 2021 were riding without valid motorcycle licenses. Safety researchers speculate a correlation between no licensure, intoxication, and speeding among motorcyclists.
- Motorcycle fatalities occur about 28 times more frequently than fatalities suffered by people in passenger vehicles when gauging them per mile traveled.
- Between 2000 and 2021, the rate of motorcycle accident fatalities increased by 210%, even though the total number of motorcyclists did not increase by this amount.
- Only three states still do not have motorcycle helmet laws in place — Illinois, Iowa, and New Hampshire — despite the inarguable fact that motorcycle helmets save lives.
- Historically, helmet use increases to 90% or greater after a helmet law is implemented. Helmet use across the United States hovered around 70% in 2021, but 38% of motorcycle accident fatalities were suffered by riders with no helmet.
- Helmet use helps reduce the risk of a motorcyclist's fatality in a crash by nearly 40% and makes the rider less likely to suffer any head injury by nearly 70%.
- More than half of all non-fatal motorcycle injuries treated in emergency rooms were to the leg/foot (30%) or head/neck (22%).
- Nearly $10 billion could be saved in total losses – such as medical costs, lost production, and disability services – each year if all motorcyclists were required to wear helmets at all times.
- Motorcycles made up 3% of all registered vehicles in the US in 2021 but accounted for almost 15% of all traffic collision fatalities.
- The highest death and injury rates among motorcycle riders in 2021 were suffered by riders aged 50 or older and by a wide margin.
- The rate of motorcycle accident fatalities for riders under age 30 has fallen consistently in the last 10 years.
- In 2021, 92% of motorcycle accident fatalities were suffered by male riders.
- Approximately 164,000 motorcyclists have died between 1975-2017 after the 1966 passage of the Highway Safety and National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Contact Our Firm for Your Free Consultation
Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation is here to help you navigate the legal arena after your motorcycle accident. Speak with our motorcycle accident attorney by calling (310) 683-2300 or filling out our online form.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Motorcycle Accident $312,000 Settlement
Rear-ended motorcyclist sustains knee injury.
Motorcycle Accident $250,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when vehicle changes lanes in his path.
Motorcycle Accident $200,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist Suffers Torn ACL.
Motorcycle Accident $175,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured in chain-reaction collision.
Motorcycle Accident $161,609 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when struck by left-turning vehicle.
Motorcycle Accident $100,000 Settlement
Vehicle making U-turn collides with motorcycle.
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $130 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.