Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Motorcycle accident statistics are in a class by themselves. This is partly due to the agencies concerned with such information — the U. S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) — which categorize motorcycle accidents separately from other vehicular accidents.
At the motorcycle injury firm of Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we have compiled various accident statistics from the CDC and NHTSA. For additional information, call us at (310) 683-2300.
Interesting motorcycle and motorcycle accident statistics from various safety groups include:
- 5,014 motorcyclists were killed in traffic collisions in 2019.
- Intoxicated motorcyclists accounted for nearly 30% of all motorcycle fatalities in 2019.
- In about 30% of all fatal motorcycle accidents, the rider was speeding, which has some notable overlap with intoxicated motorcyclists, too.
- Around 30% of motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were riding without valid motorcycle licenses. Safety researchers wonder if there is a correlation between no licensure, intoxication, and speeding among motorcyclists.
- Motorcycle fatalities occur 28 times more frequently than fatalities suffered by people in passenger vehicles when gauging them per mile traveled.
- Motorcycle fatalities increased by 82% between 2000 and 2016, even though the total number of motorcyclists did not increase by this amount.
- Only three states still do not have motorcycle helmet laws in place, despite the inarguable fact that motorcycle helmets save lives.
- Historically, helmet use increases to 90% or greater after a helmet law is implemented. Helmet use across the United States hovered around 70% in 2019.
- Helmet use helps reduce the risk of a motorcyclist's fatality in a crash by nearly 40% and makes the rider less likely to suffer any head injury by nearly 70%.
- More than half of all non-fatal motorcycle injuries treated in emergency rooms were to the leg/foot (30%) or head/neck (22%).
- Nearly $10 billion could be saved in total losses – such as medical costs, lost production, and disability services – each year if all motorcyclists were required to wear helmets at all times.
- Motorcycles made up 3% of all registered vehicles in the US in 2019 with about 8,600,000, while there were approximately 190 million light-duty vehicles (passenger vehicles and light trucks).
- The fatality rate per 100,000 registered motorcycles was 58.33 in 2019. The fatality rate per 100 million vehicle miles traveled was 25.47.
- The injury rate per 100,000 registered motorcycles was 975. The fatality rate per 100 million vehicle miles traveled was 426.
- The highest death and injury rates were under 30, followed by 50+.
- The rate of motorcycle accident fatalities for riders under age 30 has fallen consistently in the last 10 years.
- In 2017, about 51% of motorcycle accident fatalities are to people over the age of 40. The rate of motorcycle accident fatalities for riders 30 and younger has increased by 4% since 2008 – from 27% of fatalities in 2008 to 31% of fatalities in 2017.
- Approximately 164,000 motorcyclists have died between 1975-2017 after the 1966 passage of the Highway Safety and National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Contact Our Firm for Your Free Consultation
Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation is here to help you navigate the legal arena after your motorcycle accident. Speak with our motorcycle accident attorney by calling (310) 683-2300 or filling out our online form.
Making Things RightOver $130 Million Recovered on Behalf of Our Clients
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Motorcycle Accident $312,000 Settlement
Rear-ended motorcyclist sustains knee injury.
Motorcycle Accident $250,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when vehicle changes lanes in his path.
Motorcycle Accident $200,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist Suffers Torn ACL.
Motorcycle Accident $175,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured in chain-reaction collision.
Motorcycle Accident $161,609 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when struck by left-turning vehicle.
Motorcycle Accident $100,000 Settlement
Vehicle making U-turn collides with motorcycle.
What Sets Us ApartQuality Legal Representation Your Case Needs
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $130 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.
Client ReviewsHere What People Have to Say About Scott
Needed help with a 4-car collision. He took care of everything on his end.- Earon Bagunu
I am not one to write reviews but after an unfortunate car accident, I am so glad I called Scott Corwin.- Catherine Lenke
A month ago, I was involved in a car crash and broke my right wrist. The process with this attorney was pretty fast. Scott was able to help me and also Julie was always super nice and very professional. I’m very glad everything was easy and fast.- Sabrina Guna
Scott got the personal injury settlement amount I expected to get (actually a few percent more). He was quiet and efficient, not a time-waster. Perfect fit for a working person.- Carl Hoppe
Thanks again Scott and Staff for your great work. My family and I are fortunate to have you all by our side in times of need.- Maria Mejia