Los Angeles Left-Turn Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Left-Turn Motorcycle Accidents in Southern California
Many motorcyclists approach intersections with a heightened sense of dread—and for good reason. At any time, a motorist may make a left turn in front of you, and there may be nothing you can do to avoid a collision. These types of accidents often result in serious injuries and, in the most tragic of cases, they can even be fatal.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we have the experience to hold careless drivers and their insurance companies fully accountable when they fail to yield to motorcycles at intersections. If you were injured in a left-turn motorcycle accident in Los Angeles or anywhere in Southern California, reach out to our firm today to learn how we can help.
Why Are Left-Turn Accidents So Common?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), left-turn accidents account for 36 percent of all fatal motorcycle accidents. Additionally, the NHTSA reports that, on average, more than half of all crossing-path collisions involve left turns. But what makes these types of collisions so common?
There are many factors at play when it comes to left-turn motorcycle accidents. Some of the most common causes include:
- Unprotected Turns: A significant number of left-turn accidents involved unprotected turns or turns where there is no traffic signal or stop sign. Motorists turning left without the protection of traffic control devices must wait for breaks in oncoming traffic, but they often attempt to turn too early or too late, leading to serious collisions.
- Inexperienced Drivers: New drivers, including teens, often misjudge the amount of space they have to make left turns, whether at protected or unprotected turns. They may attempt to turn too early across the path of an oncoming motorcyclist, leaving the motorcyclist little or no time to avoid the collision.
- Distracted Drivers: Those who use cellphones, text, or are otherwise distracted behind the wheel put everyone else on the road at risk. These drivers often make unsafe left turns simply because they are not paying attention. They may fail to see an oncoming motorcyclist or believe they have more time to turn.
- Drunk Drivers: Drivers who are impaired by alcohol or drugs have delayed reaction times and clouded judgment. As such, drunk or drugged drivers may behave dangerously behind the wheel, such as by making unsafe left turns. This can have devastating consequences for motorcyclists who may not have time to avoid a crash.
- Traffic Law Violations: When motorists run red lights or stop signs, make left turns where it is unlawful to do so, or otherwise violate traffic laws, they can cause serious accidents with others on the road. Unfortunately for motorcyclists, these collisions often result in catastrophic injuries or fatalities.
Other common factors in left-turn motorcycle accidents include poor visibility, inclement weather, driver fatigue, and roadway defects, such as faulty traffic signals or poorly constructed intersections.
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, our Los Angeles left-turn motorcycle accident attorney knows how to investigate these claims to determine exactly what happened and, most importantly, who is liable.
Who Is to Blame for a Left-Turn Accident?
In most cases, the negligent motorist is the one to blame for a left-turn accident. This could be a motorcyclist who acted carelessly, but far more often, it is the driver of the other vehicle involved who bears most—if not all—of the blame.
In some cases, fault might be shared between two or more parties. If the insurance company or the court finds you partially to blame for the collision, you are still able to seek compensation for your damages, but you will not be able to recover the full amount you are seeking. Rather, your total recovery will be reduced by your at-fault percentage. So, if you are found to be 30 percent to blame, you can only recover up to 70 percent of the total amount you are seeking in damages.
Because California follows a pure comparative negligence rule, there is no percentage of fault (except 100 percent) that prohibits you from filing a claim for damages. As long as you can prove that the other party was at least 1 percent at fault for the crash, you can seek compensation for your losses, including your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
How Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation Can Help
When the cause of a motorcycle accident is carelessness by another driver, you are entitled to compensation. At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, our Los Angeles left-turn motorcycle accident attorney represents bikers injured as a result of motorists failing to yield the right of way when making left turns. We also represent family members of fatal motorcycle crash victims.
A high percentage of serious motorcycle injuries happen in left-turn collisions at intersections. What does the responsible driver always say? “I didn’t see him coming.” While that may be the case, Attorney Scott J. Corwin will still fight for your right to maximum compensation.
Why You Need an Attorney for Your Left-Turn Motorcycle Accident Claim
As long as you had the green light (or the right of way in an unmarked intersection), the person who made a left turn in front of you and hit you is at fault. Unfortunately, motorists often try to shift blame to motorcyclists even in cases where the fault is clear. For example, the person in the car may claim that you were driving recklessly.
In California, your recovery from a personal injury lawsuit is reduced by any percentage of liability that is assigned to you. So, if the insurance company claims that you were 25 percent at fault, your recovery can be reduced by 25 percent.
To protect your right to full compensation, it is important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible after an accident. Attorney Scott J. Corwin is a distinguished member of the Motorcycle Injury Trial Lawyers Association (MITLA) and has been selected for inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list every year since 2007. He also maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo and has earned numerous positive reviews from past clients.
If you were injured in a left-turn motorcycle accident in Los Angeles or the surrounding areas, contact Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation today at (310) 683-2300 for a free consultation.
Motorcycle Accident $2,300,000
City employee causes collision with police motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident $2,100,000
Motorcyclist suffers brain injury in collision.
Motorcycle Accident $1,250,000
Vehicle turns left in front of motorcycle, causing collision.
Motorcycle Accident $312,000 Settlement
Rear-ended motorcyclist sustains knee injury.
Motorcycle Accident $250,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when vehicle changes lanes in his path.
Motorcycle Accident $200,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist Suffers Torn ACL.
Motorcycle Accident $175,000 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured in chain-reaction collision.
Motorcycle Accident $161,609 Settlement
Motorcyclist injured when struck by left-turning vehicle.
Motorcycle Accident $100,000 Settlement
Vehicle making U-turn collides with motorcycle.
Fast, Favorable Resolutions
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand the importance of securing a favorable outcome in your case, fast. More than 95 percent of our clients’ cases settle within 5 to 9 months, and our clients are very satisfied with the results (see our client reviews!). We only file lawsuits when absolutely necessary, such as in cases where the defendant disputes liability or refuses to pay for the full extent of our client’s damages.
With more than 30 years in practice and over $125 million recovered for his clients, Scott is known for his aggressive approach to litigation. Some of his accolades include:
- Inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list since 2007, a distinction reserved for only the top 5 percent of all personal injury lawyers in the region
- Named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer”
- Named a Top 25 Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in California by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2010
- Maintains a 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo
At Scott J. Corwin, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in developing strong attorney-client relationships built on honesty, trust, and communication. As a client, you will always receive direct, personal attention from Scott; your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. Instead, you can always rely on dedicated representation from a highly experienced and award-winning attorney who is ready to fight for you.
Zero Upfront Fees
Our firm offers all personal injury and wrongful death legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees or expenses. Instead, we only get paid if and when we recover compensation for you. In the unlikely event that we do not win your case, you do not pay a dime. We also offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose in reaching out to our team today. Contact our firm 24/7 and we’ll get back to you within one business day.